2012 Bull Shoals GPS Route Notes
All routes and track templates are in a single ZIP archive. This archive contains the following files:
2012 1-2-3-4 RIDE MAPS_150.jpg JPEG image file showing routes 1-4
2012 bill wing MAP 5.jpg - JPEG image file showing Bill Wing 313 route
2012 BILL WING RIDE MAP 5.pdf Printable route instructions in PDF format
2012 RIDE MAP 1-2. pdf Printable route instructions in PDF format
2012 RIDE MAP 3-4. pdf Printable route instructions in PDF format
BS12 routes only.gdb - contains all route files in GDB format.
BS12 routes only.gpx- same as above in newer GPX format
BS12 unfiltered tracks.gdb- can be used with above routes in Mapsource as templates to check recalculation.
BS12 unfiltered tracks for zumo 660.gpx- can be loaded into Garmin zumo 660 model GPS and used as off-road tracks or used with above routes in Mapsource as templates to check recalculation.
BS12 filtered tracks.gdb- Split into 75 mile segments and filtered to 500 points per segment for GPS units that support tracks.
BS12 filtered tracks.gpx- same as above in newer GPX format
2012 Bull Shoals GPS file notes.pdf The file you are viewing now.
There are 5 different routes in this package, compiled from several past years and routemasters. Each route is broken into two main parts
There are matching tracks for all routes that you can use in Garmin Mapsource as a check template when you recalculate as explained below.
GPS Settings and Tips for 2012 Bull Shoals Files:
1. All routes were prepared using Garmin Mapsource Version 6.16.3 software.
2. City Navigator North America 2012.3 mapset was used for all routes. Pre 2008 map databases may have a few problems because the routes may use new roads not found in older databases.
3. Routing preferences were set in Mapsource as follows:
Route Style: Use Auto-routing
Calculation style: Faster Time
Road selection: Midway between 'prefer minor roads' and 'prefer highways'
Avoid: no avoidances
4. (NOTE: If you do not have the Mapsource program, you cannot check the accuracy of routes with your GPS map database. Skip to step 5.) Load the routes into Mapsource and RECALCULATE each route using the above settings and the same map database that is loaded in your GPS- THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! Most recent model GPS units recalculate routes when they are imported. Tracks have been provided as templates- they will not change when you recalculate so you can easily see if you need to add any extra waypoints.
5. In your GPS make the following settings:
Recalculation must be turned OFF. Not just PROMPTED, but OFF.
Set navigation to Follow Road
Calculation style: Faster Time
6. Manage your Waypoints as explained below, then upload your 2012 Bull Shoals routes and waypoints.
7. Happy Navigating!
Manage Your Waypoints
These routes have all been redone to conventional waypoints only for beginning, end, some gas stops and lunch stops. They will load into your GPS along with the routes. To save hunting them down and manually deleting them after 2012 Bull Shoals, do yourself a favor and
1. Copy all of your existing waypoints to a separate Mapsource backup file before you load the 2012 Bull Shoals routes. I usually name the file with the date and the word "waypoints," like 120906Waypoints.gdb.
2. Upload the 2012 Bull Shoals routes and waypoints to your GPS. Because there are so many routes, only load the ones you are interested in in your GPS. Now you are ready to go.
3. When you return home from the rally, save your GPS's waypoints to a new file for reference in case you added any new ones you want to keep.
4. Clear all the routes and waypoints from your GPS.
5. Reload the waypoint file you saved before going to 2012 Bull Shoals.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.12
Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Username Changing provided by Username Change (Free) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2013 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright © 2012 Motorcycle Sport Touring Association
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.